Director of Praise Worship
Position summary: The Director of Praise Worship (DPW) will provide worship leadership in cooperation with the Pastor at the Sunday morning Praise service and the Wednesday evening FaithBuilder’s worship experience. The DPW must be a visionary who is creative in leading people to God through worship, and who is able to maintain, develop and lead an effective Christ-centered worship team. The DPW will oversee coordination of the technology team and the technological and multi-media aspects of the worship experience, and will help WUMC continually progress in this area. The DPW will direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate and enhance the weekly worship experiences. Additionally, the DPW may also possibly serve as the Choir Director for the Traditional worship service IF gifted, willing and able to do so. The DPW will serve in cooperation with the pastor, staff and congregation to help fulfill the Mission and Vision of WUMC.
Qualifications and Abilities:
- An authentic testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a personal and growing relationship with Him.
- Commitment to the Mission and Vision of Wintersville United Methodist Church (WUMC).
- Skilled vocalist and musician (preferably guitar or possibly piano/keyboard).
- Prior experience leading a “contemporary” worship service is required, as well as a calling and giftedness in this area of ministry.
- Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading a church in worship. Supply a video or link
showing you leading worship.
- A self-starter who is also a team player with a positive attitude.
- Knowledge of audio and visual aspects of worship and ability to direct technical staff and volunteers.
- Ability to lead by example and through encouragement, correction, and inspiration.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to make congregants feel welcome and inspired to
- Ability to create timely goals, adhere to schedules, and coordinate meetings/rehearsals.
- Prefer Bachelor Degree in Music Ministry, Worship Leadership, or a similar field of study.
- Recruit, maintain and develop the necessary worship teams to help lead and enhance the music and worship
ministry of WUMC.
- Plan and lead the music for the Sunday morning Praise service and the Wednesday evening FaithBuilder’s
worship service in consultation with the Pastor and grounded in prayer and the truth of God’s Word. Ensure
that all the musical and technical aspects enhance the theme for the day. Oversee song selection, media
preparation and coordination of all instrumentalists and vocalists. Serve as lead worshiper in all Praise
- Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate and enhance the weekly worship
experiences, including prayer and spiritual formation as part of the rehearsals.
- Supervise the Multi-Media Specialist. The Director of Praise Worship (DPW) will also recruit, train and
oversee technology persons; and will meet with them as needed to plan worship service details. Be
responsible for a consistently high-quality audio and visual worship experience, including giving timely
- Coordinate with the Multi-Media Specialist to ensure that all necessary equipment setup and tear-down in
the Sanctuary takes place whenever needed.
- Work in consultation with the Vacation Bible School Leader and team to plan, prepare, and lead the music
ministry area of VBS.
- Serve as the Traditional worship service Choir Director (includes: overseeing all necessary
choir responsibilities and organist supervision) IF hired for that purpose.
- Oversee and/or perform the regular maintenance (tuning, etc.) and cleaning of all musical instruments (e.g.
piano, organ, keyboard) and music equipment. Manage inventory of music, video and media equipment.
- Be responsible for all copyright licenses (music, video, films): renewal and required report of use.
- Participate in regular Staff Meetings and on Worship Committee. Attend Administrative Council, Trustees,
or other church committee meetings upon request.
- Responsible for the development and administration of the Music Budget (to include submitting an annual
capital budget) as well as written requests to the trustees for equipment and maintenance needs & expenses.
Maintain a record of all disbursements. All disbursements will need to go through the proper channels (e.g.
Trustees, Church Secretary for Visa, Church Treasurer, etc.).
- Time Sheet—complete and turn in by payroll due date to Pastor.
- Help develop a children’s music ministry.
- Serve in cooperation with the Pastor, staff and laity to fulfill the “Mission and Vision” of the WUMC.
Demonstrate professionalism regarding confidentiality, complaints, and security of information and discuss
only with appropriate persons.
- Adhere to the WUMC employee Code of Conduct based on the current United Methodist Church Discipline.
Between 20 (P/T) and 36 (F/T) depending on extent of responsibilities and agreement when hired.
Direct Supervisor: Pastor
Director of Youth Ministries Job Description
- Responsible for designing, planning, implementing, establishing and maintaining a healthy Christ centered youth group experience that welcomes and attracts youth from the church and community while providing a balance of service, fellowship and study.
- Oversee and provide direction to the overall youth programs including recruit, organize and train a group of volunteer teachers for Sunday School Programs, work with teachers to choose the Sunday School curriculum and prepare teacher recognition.
- Record the Sunday School attendance or work with volunteers to make sure this is completed.
- Responsible for overseeing and planning the following for the youth:
- Sunday morning educational opportunities
- Weekly spiritual growth and fellowship groups
- Mission trips
- Outreach and community service projects
- Fundraising activities
- Special events
- Participation in District and Conference events
- Recruitment, training and nurturing of adult volunteers to facilitate activities.
- Networking with other community and church organizations to develop programs to meet the overall mission of the church.
- Act as a liaison among the youth and members of the congregation, serving as an advocate for youth and work toward their full involvement in all aspects of church.
- Provide resources to parents and families on teen issues.
- Train the youth to take ownership and responsibility for their program.
- Responsible for the development and administration of the youth program budget, maintaining a record of the youth group receipts and expenditures.
- Oversee and recruit for VBS.
- Oversee children’s activities such as Christmas Play, Christmas Party, Easter, Children and Youth Day.
- Support and work with those attending Church Camp.
- Oversee and support the Nursery/Preschool Attendants and also Children’s
- Assist the Pastor with Graduation Sunday and Confirmation Sunday.
- Serve as a member of the Administrative Council, Education and Outreach
- This is a full-time nonexempt hourly position with day, evening and
weekend work. Also some overnight trips throughout year and traveling to Youth events may occur.
- Office hours are encourage on a varied schedule to meet the needs of the
job, youth and Pastor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Time Sheet and Mileage Report—Complete and turn in by payroll due
date to Pastor.
- Serve in cooperation with the Pastor, staff and laity to fulfill the “Mission
and Vision” of the WUMC. Demonstrates professionalism regarding
confidentiality, complaints and security of information and discusses
only with appropriate persons.